3.3 How to add your own Geofilter
What are Snapchat Community Geofilters?
With Community Geofilters, Snapchat encourages and challenges artists and designers to submit a free Community Geofilter for a place they like. Places such as your town, university, a place you hold dear, or just another public location.
As Geofilters are extremely popular and are available worldwide, Snapchat wants to fill the world with Geofilters. This is an impossible task for the Snapchat staff and that’s why they are giving creative Snapchat users the possibility to submit their own creations. If the submitted Geofilters are in line with the Submission Guidelines and if the Snapchat staff approves them, the Geofilter will become reality at the location you have set. Continue reading if you want to know how to submit Snapchat Community Geofilters.
How to submit Snapchat Community Geofilters?
You can submit your own Community Geofilter by following the following steps:
- Go to Snapchat’s Geofilter page and choose Community Geofilters.
- After you have chosen ‘Community’, you will find some tips you should use for your creation. It is very useful to read these tips before creating/designing one. Also, you can find a link to the Submission Guidelines, which you should also read before being creative. The Submission Guidelines are about the Places, Graphics and some other Submission Tips.
- After you have read the Submission Guidelines, click next and a map opens. On the right top, you can download the template which you can use for creating your own Geofilter. You can download this file for Adobe Photoshop (.psd) or Adobe Illustrator (.ai).
- Start creating your own Geofilter!
- If you are done creating your Geofilter, you must save it the designated way, so it is in line with the Submission Guidelines.
Go back to the Community Geofilters ‘map’, where you can upload your own Geofilter.
- First of all, you have to set a fence around the area where you would like to feature your Geofilter. While setting the fence, keep the Submission Guidelines in mind.
- If your Geofilter is created for a special event, you can select the timezone, date and time for the Geofilter. If your Community Geofilter isn’t meant for an event, you can ignore this option..
- After that, you can submit your Geofilter on the right. You have to upload the Geofilter file, note your name, email address, tell Snapchat why the set location is meaningful to you and if you have some additional notes, you can leave them there too.
- If you’re not a robot, you can tick the box confirming that.
You must agree with the two agreements (which you should read), before submission.
- If all information is correct and you have ticked all the necessary boxes, you can submit your Community Geofilter!
- After that, there’s nothing you can do. The Snapchat team will judge your submission and will let you know about their decision via email.
What are Snapchat On-Demand Geofilters?
Next to Community Geofilters, Snapchat offers another possibility for their users to be creative and have some influence on the available Geofilters around you.
In short, Snapchat On-Demand Geofilters are custom Geofilters which you can assign to a specific location and time. Whether you would like to have your own Geofilter around your house for your birthday party or wedding, (almost) everything is possible! This feature could in this case be very useful for events where a lot of people are using Snapchat. As the Geofilters are popular aspects of Snapchat, people are very likely to use your On-Demand Geofilter when they found it at the specific location or event. Your On-Demand Geofilter can be ordered for a specific time and location, which we will explain more about below.
Unfortunately, On-Demand Geofilters aren’t yet available worldwide, so possibly you might not be able to upload your On-Demand Geofilter. Snapchat’s “coming soon” promise makes us look forward to a time where every Snapchat user can get their On-Demand Geofilters, worldwide.
How to purchase Snapchat On-Demand Geofilters?
If On-Demand Geofilters are available in your area, you can use the following steps to order your On-Demand Geofilter:
- First of all, you have to sign in with your Snapchat username and password on the Snapchat On-Demand Geofilter page. Once you have been logged in, you can either find a notification that Snapchat On-Demand Geofilters aren’t available in your area, or you can instantly upload your Geofilter. Also you can find the Templates which you can use for creating your Geofilter and the Submission Guidelines. Before uploading, you must ensure that your design meets the criteria and guidelines Snapchat has drafted.
- Second, you must pick a time and date for your Geofilter. You can pick a very specific time on a specific date or pick a longer period of time.
- Third, you can set a geofence for your On-Demand Geofilter, for example around your house. You can use the tools to set a ‘fence’ around the location your Geofilter should be featured. In this section, you can see the pricing of the specific time and location.
- And at last, you can order your On-Demand Geofilter by submitting it. As the On-Demand Geofilters aren’t free, you have to pay for it. You will have to leave your payment information before you can submit your Geofilter. After submission, you will find a completion page where Snapchat indicates how much time it takes them for reviewing your submission.
ANOTHER METHOD: Recently, Snapchat added another way to purchase Snapchat On-Demand Geofilters. In the method described above, you needed to have some creative skills in order to design your Geofilter.
Now, Snapchat is making it easier for anyone to create and design an On-Demand Geofilter. Snapchat added a kind of do-it-yourself possibility on the Geofilter site, so you can easily choose between templates and customize them. Users can choose a specific theme, select the design and customize the text and colors. No need to be very handy with tools like Photoshop anymore.
Topics in this chapter
Free guide Chapters
- 1. Getting Started
- 2. Get Snapping
- 3. Getting Creative
- 4. Get Chatting with Snapchat
- 5. Explore More